SailNet Community - View Single Post - Close call! Who had rights?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Close call! Who had rights?

We were Port to Port and I would estimate I was pointed at him about 20 degrees, about 20 feet apart. My motor was idling in neutral (I would never be in that situation without the motor running). The two boats seemed to be standing still relative to each other, then suddenly we were coming together as I described in the OP. Another crew member and I WERE paying attention, and DID take evasive action (full reverse) ASAP. I assure you, it happened THAT quickly. I have no reason to believe either crew did anything wrong. They did have crew on the bow and we were in the cockpit, so they alerted first (may be a lesson there!). The other boat was to windward, so my best guess is a gust blew him toward me. You might assume that both boats would be in the same current. Though...in the SF Bay that is certainly not a given.
I freely admitted my mistake, of putting myself in the situation to begin with. Having said that (and without singling anyone out) there is a lot of chest beating going on here. "doesn't matter who's right", "you didn't act quickly enough", etc..
I simply posed the question because as I thought about it, it wasn't clear to me if anyone was really wrong (other than being there!).
Had we collided, it would have been a "fender bender", certainly no one was going to "sink". However, when two medium size keel boats collide, (even slowly) it can add up to big bucks in a hurry. I'll guarantee you, my insurance company would have been questioning who was right and wrong!

Last edited by L124C; 10-09-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook