SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
To mpaul. Please get the correct info. I can't guess the reasons for your negativity. I have finished with this, so please don't persue me,but if you want to I'll give you plenty more info. I can only hope the original poster continues with his plans. Gary Mull designed the boat. Please see BUCCANEER 250 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
( for starters)
I guess some people with a very large and expensive BOAT may not like to be told that a PERSON with a small boat CAN EAT,SLEEP,COOK,HEAT AND TAKE A CRAP just as well on a small boat. And stand up ! We are talking about liveaboard, not .......
Maybe some people have never heated a boat so they just don't know how. Maybe some people just want to agitate and argue as a pastime.
Perhaps my post came off as being a bit more negative than it should have. It has NOTHING to do with cost, you seem to be obsessed with. In today's market you can pick up boats for nothing (usually come with their own issues) to almost nothing. I have seen nice 30 foot boats going for $1000. A friends dad just sold his very good condition Catalina 30 for $2200, I mean sail away that day good he just got tired of tire kickers as the boat was a 4 hour drive away. I looked at a Conyplex Contest 30 that was a bit ugly but had usable sails and a working diesel motor for $1000. I got out bid on a really nice Newport 30 that had good sails and in overall good condition for $2300. I was trying to bid via my cell phone, and lost connection and the auction ended. On the Buccaneer 250 all your are going to have is a small camp stove, so no you can't cook as well as you can in a boat designed to have people stay on for longer with a proper oven. How much water will it hold? How big is the holding tank? I don't think you are going to be able to crap many times without having a pump out, unless you are going to direct discharge and that is against the law. The Buccaneer 250 was designed as a day sailor, and to be taken out on the odd overnight. There is limited storage limited tankage. And to be anchored on the open water in that light of a boat is going to be quite uncomfortable for days at a time. There are lots of other boats that would be more suited to this. Many of them can be found at low prices including the power boats listed. Where are you going to store stuff on a Buccaneer? I looked at your link, and yes it reminded of the one I did see, no storage, almost no tankage fresh or waste and light weight construction. How is he going to hold enough chain, rode and good sized anchor to hold the boat full time on the hook in the North West? The Conyplex I looked at had tons of storage and a functioning galley. Same with the Catalina, Newport, Columbia, Albin Vega, and others I have looked at. No reason to rough it more than you need to. There are lots of small boats good for living aboard, the Buccaneer is not one I would choose due to above issues. Do you live on the hook on your Buccaneer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook