SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fire extinguisher damage concerns...
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012

whosedream is on a distinguished road
Fire extinguisher damage concerns...

Will smoke and fire extinguisher use/residue cause any problems with other components in engine compartment? Concerns with air intake, other wiring & components, chain drive for wheel/rudder, rubber hoses, auto pilot, etc? What if anything should I be looking for, concerned with?

Here's my story: I had been having some starter issues with my Yanmar 4jh2e, as I was completing a short 2 week cruise up to Puerto and back home to La Paz.
The last time I started engine to motor back to slip...Unknown to me, my starter continued running; overheating & melting wiring, solenoid, alternator etc.

This created enough smoke and burning rubber smell---When I noticed-- shut down engine ASAP and used a dry fire extinguisher on engine (since I didn't know cause of smoke).
Of course, I've cleaned (using a water and vinegar mix) on engine and engine compartment cleaning it of most of smoke residue as well as extinguisher residue. Still smells a bit of smoke a extinguisher.

Will smoke and fire extinguisher use/residue cause any more problems with other components in engine compartment? Concerns with air intake, other wiring & components, chain drive for wheel/rudder, rubber hoses, other wiring?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook