SailNet Community - View Single Post - Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Consensus of the respondents is:
1. Ferro is not a great idea and there is a reason why they are no longer built. F/C is not "flimsy", by the way.
2. Insurance will be difficult to obtain. Note that fire and theft insurance is not what's being discussed - insurance for damage to your or other's vessel is different
3. Sailing to Italy in this boat, with you current level of experience, is not a good idea. The Bay of Biscay can be brutal.
4 The boat is probably being offered at a much higher price than is warranted, regardless of how much has been put into it. Comparable sales don't seem to warrant a $50k asking price.
5. A pre-purchase survey by a surveyor experienced with this material is mandatory.

I will note that SailNet members have a great deal of experience in these matters and are providing honest, unbiased opinions. However, every concern has been met with what appears to be opposition so I suspect that your decision is already made.