SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
We've always tried to show up in person, with a picture of the boat, when inquiring about liveaboard slips. Lets the manager know us, s/he can figure out if we're likely to be good citizens of the marina community, and know that our boat is maintained in seaworthy condition. We've never had a problem getting dockage.
Yea, thats a cool way to go and you've got pretty boat, and solely based on your posts you seem like nice folks and all.
I guess I just got a problem having to convice someone to take my money.
I've never been refused a slip any place that I can recall, but then I don't often take a slip. And when I do I pay up front cash on the spot in advance,signed contract done deal.
As of the last few years due to economic factors I see a few places that previously had their noses held pretty high singing a different tune when 2/3rds of there docks are empty, I like to go in to them and act like I'm interested in a slip and laugh at them when they grovel. right now it's a buyers market and cash is king.
besides all the snooty places are filled with boring uninteresting people.
The easier going do-it-yourself type marinas and yards host a more entertaining assortment of salty individuals w/ much more interesting exchange and experiences.
I dig that, if I want boring uptight I'd just stay home and keep running the Shoe repair all year long and skip the cruising/sailing. I love old boatyards filled w/ old sailboats and seafarers.
And real people having pot lucks and daily byob happy hours.
If you ain't got epoxy stuck to you and bottom paint sanding dust in you hair your just missing out!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook