SailNet Community - View Single Post - Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Seaboy,

In your original post you state that you are not a rich man. Have you considered what kind of ongoing costs you are taking on? The purchase price of a boat is just the beginning. You can expect to spend thousands more in ongoing expenses such as moorage, maintenance, repairs and insurance. It is not cheap to own a boat, and the bigger the boat the bigger the bills!

I won't speak to the value of the boat, although you can get some very nice boats for the money you are contempating! Just go to Yachtworld.com and use the search engine to look at boats in that price range! I am sure the current owner is the one who convinced you that it is superior to fiberglass, but it does beg the question...Why don't they make Ferro boats anymore?

p.s. I did a quick search of yacht listings in the UK, using a price range of 0-100,000 pounds and there is exactly 1 ferro boat on the market: a 35 footer built in 1980 for 11,000!
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 10-09-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook