SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Bondage!
Thread: Boat Bondage!
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Boat Bondage!

I was at a public dock with major surge this weekend. My strategy with surge (and in general for that matter) is to use big fenders, spring lines, and give the boat lots of dock line so she can move independently from the dock. Another boat owner saw my boat dancing around, and asked if I shouldn't pull the boat tighter to the dock. I explained my method, and he seemed to buy it.

An impressive 60-70 foot power yacht was tied to the same dock. IMO, it didn't have large enough fenders (and possibly the wrong type), and was taking a beating from the surge (yeah...it was THAT bad). Three guys came off the yacht and started cinching down on the dock lines, trying to make them as tight as possible, then went back aboard. I thought: "guys...you are not going to win that battle!" Five minutes later...BANG...BANG...the lines started snapping (and they were good sized lines!). The guys came back out and started untying the Yacht. I thought "Good, they are going to take her out of here". They did, and proceeded to turn her around and tie her up in the same spot (Presumably so the new side would match the beaten up side? She HAD a lovely Navy blue hull BTW!). Seems like a classic case of more money then sense.
In any case, how do you deal with surge? Put her in bondage, or let her dance?

Last edited by L124C; 10-09-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook