SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts - Chain vs. Brait?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Here's what came with the boat.

Anchors: Bruce 45#; CQR 35#; Fortress 23#
Rode: 150' 5/16" high test chain; 200' 3/4" nylon; 150' 3/4" nylon

I'm guessing the bruce was the primary I'm not a lover of the Bruce... I'm thinking of making it my backup and buying a big Delta Fastset which I had excellent luck with on my prior boat (albeit much smaller). I'm debating 50ft of chain + 300ft of line, or 300ft of chain + 50ft of line. I spent many days anchored in 60 ft. of water last summer - I want the flexibility to anchor wherever I want, and away from people who may not have as much rode. Lake Champlain is a very deep lake, all the way to the edge, although others have pointed out to me that there are plenty of anchorages in the 20'-30' range. I'm sure there are, but I didn't find them in the one season I was on the lake. I will definitely be looking for them this year!

The following year we plan to bring our boat to Cape Cod (although I'm wondering if I'll be able to get a slip or mooring within a reasonable distance of my house near Albany NY i.e. no more than 3 hours away). We'll be cruising throughout Cape Cod and the Maine coast.

Then we'll be selling our boat and moving up to a 50'-55'. I should say moving onto since we'll be spending the next 18 months living on it.

I do not expect to be anchoring THIS boat anywhere that coral exists. We will be anchoring it in rock, sand and mud.

I'll be doing a complete inventory of the boat in a couple of weeks and I plan to pull all of the chain and rode out of the locker to check its condition. I have a pricing request in to Defender right now for a 300' chain + 50' brait combo. I don't even want to guess what shipping costs will be! I should see about buying it local - it will be the one time when tax will be less than shipping!

And with regards to beer, I will drink a Labatt's when visiting Canada, but I'm much more of a Sam Smith Nut Brown or Oatmeal Stout guy myself, served warm and in a pint glass I'd still much prefer a Planter's Punch from American Yacht Club in Rye, NY any day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook