SailNet Community - View Single Post - Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 10-10-2012
salvex

Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

I hadn't sailed before either so took some dinghy lessons then bought a 34 foot Hunter. My problem was the boat was in Puerto Rico and I lived in Barbados. Couldn't find a crew so I took precautions (EPIRB, auto-pilot, good GPS and charts etc.) and single-handed her back to Barbados. Of course, the Caribbean isn't as busy as the English Channel or the ICW (for you US folk) but I never went below deck at night and cat-napped up top in full gear. I also kept a VERY close eye on the weather so I could run for one of the islands in case of trouble. One year later, I reversed the process as I got a job in the Bahamas - again, single-handed. She is still there and I'm going back for 3 weeks sailing starting tomorrow (yippee!) (currently in Saudi). Common sense, good precautions and a safety first attitude will take you a long way but no trip is ever the same twice. Italy should be do-able with the right planning and precautions and you only live once. Go for it and enjoy!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome