SailNet Community - View Single Post - Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

It is remarkable how many people make up their minds decisively from the first few comments they hear or read about a subject. From that point on they are simply trying to validate the position which they now have a mental stake in, and they are totally certain about their opinion even though they have zero objective experience to base it on. The guy in my marina who never sailed before but insisted that he knew what he was doing and needed no advice from the experienced sailors on his slip comes to mind. Pops open his 150 genny and full main in 20 knots of breeze, crash jibes in several circles then motors back pale faced. Yet the next time he tells everyone on the dock about his next great idea (there have been many), every experienced sailor politely tells him he is way off, yet he insists through his own reasoning that he must be correct. The guy never learns any way except the hard way, and he is certainly not the only person who is like this. At least he learns the hard way, I know guys who can't even do that. Nobody on the dock even tries to tell him stuff anymore, they mostly figure that god protects fools and drunks.

After racing this season and going out in all conditions in my own boat and in others, and even taking my first real coastal cruise this year (to BI and Newport) I have realized that most of the advice from Sailnetters is on the conservative side, but from people who really know what they are talking about. Common sense is this. If the resale value of a ferrocement boat is sh#t, and nobody is building them anymore, then there is prob a good reason for that. Same goes for junk rigs, steel boats, and many other ideas that have been tried but just aren't as good as the modern and generally more popular solutions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook