SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I am restoring a Nor'sea 27 that sank. The engine and engine controls and all the associated electrics were ruined. I installed a reconditioned Yanmar 2QM15 that I bought a few years ago and new engine controls.

Finding a Type B engine control and instrument panel (key switch; push to start button; high temp and low lube oil pressure lamps; buzzer) for the cockpit was problematic because they are no longer made (and have a list price of over $1000 if one were available).

I checked the wiring diagram in the engine manual and decided to build my own. I had an old ignition switch in my toolkit (free). I bought two dashboard indicating lamps (about 2.50 each) and a push to start switch (about 7.00) from an online hot rod supply warehouse and a couple of 12V buzzers from Amazon (about 3.00 each).

I finished a piece of half inch okume plywood that was a cutoff from another project with Interlux Brightside; drilled holes and installed the push switch and indicators; and installed the plywood panel in the cockpit. I mounted the ignition switch and the buzzers inboard. After wiring the system it worked perfectly - provides engine start controls and visual and audible instrumentation for high temp and low oil pressure- and cost me less than twenty bucks.

I used a little dolfinite to seal the indicators in their holes and a little BoatLife caulk to seal the panel against the cockpit well bulkhead.
Nicely done. What did you do for an engine kill switch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook