SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help With Offshore Navigation
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-10-2012 Thread Starter
Harborless
Blue Horizons

Help With Offshore Navigation

Long time coming my fellow sailing compatriots. Some of you may remember me through the past year and a half as I started the search for a boat, bought qa project, fixed it up, moved aboard, and now am ready to do some offshore.

Basically, The boat is 100% reqady to go so we are not talking safety.

I want to leave out of Jacksonville and sail down to the New Smyrna Beach inlet. I will be doing this trip right around Dec. 20th give or take a few days for weather window.

So basically I have a chart and I have a garmin handheld gps which I have no idea how to operate properly. I want to know what I need to do in EXCRUCIATING detail to complete this trip. I know its not much more than sailing 5-7 miles offshore and hugging the coast down but how do you know your position? I have a compass, the GPS, and some charts with a VHF radio for navigation. How would I be able to know I was at the New Smyrna inlet and not the Daytona? How do I chart my course to account for wind and current to make sure I am where I am supposed to be? I will be single handing so please be very specific and add anything you feel is pertinent. I will check back to reply often.
Thanks sailnet members and I look forward to seeing you out on the water! 25 years old living the dream!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome