SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help With Offshore Navigation
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Help With Offshore Navigation

Long time coming my fellow sailing compatriots. Some of you may remember me through the past year and a half as I started the search for a boat, bought qa project, fixed it up, moved aboard, and now am ready to do some offshore.

Basically, The boat is 100% reqady to go so we are not talking safety.

I want to leave out of Jacksonville and sail down to the New Smyrna Beach inlet. I will be doing this trip right around Dec. 20th give or take a few days for weather window.

So basically I have a chart and I have a garmin handheld gps which I have no idea how to operate properly. I want to know what I need to do in EXCRUCIATING detail to complete this trip. I know its not much more than sailing 5-7 miles offshore and hugging the coast down but how do you know your position? I have a compass, the GPS, and some charts with a VHF radio for navigation. How would I be able to know I was at the New Smyrna inlet and not the Daytona? How do I chart my course to account for wind and current to make sure I am where I am supposed to be? I will be single handing so please be very specific and add anything you feel is pertinent. I will check back to reply often.
Thanks sailnet members and I look forward to seeing you out on the water! 25 years old living the dream!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook