SailNet Community - View Single Post - rebuilding a rudder and boom question
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012

Rxboat is on a distinguished road
rebuilding a rudder and boom question

I will need to make a new rudder because the old one got water under the fiberglass and water logged and rotted the wood. The boom for my sailboat is basically a 2X4, 11ft long, too badly weathered and has splits and sharp edges all along the groove that holds the sail - these could cut or tear the sail. So I need advice on materials to use for the new pieces.

The rudder I plan to make using plywood doing a lot of sanding in order to shape the thickness and then cover it completely in fiberglass, then paint it with white gel-coat. My question is can I use a (I will not use any pressure treated plywood) such as AC exterior grade plywood instead of marine grade plywood in order to save money on the cost of the plywood since I will be encasing it in fiberglass and painting it anyway. The plywood will have voids when I am finished planing and sanding it to shape, but these will get filled up with the resin and fiberglass.

The new boom I will make using either cedar or redwood (because these are somewhat resistant to water) then paint it with white gel-coat or marine paint. I don't know if these are the best woods to paint over, I hear they have natural oils that tend to make it harder for paint to adhere well over time. Any thoughts about these plans I have?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook