SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I assume the offshore voyage article referenced above is the cross-Atlantic trip made in a C&C 30 I. So the boat can take the predictable demands, but IMHO its really not suitable, as most any racer/cruiser of the type is not, lacking the storage needed for such a trip, starting with 25 gallons of water...Can one do it...yes. Is the boat a good choice...no.

As an example of what I mean, you can click around and find the story of the folks who entered a CS 30 in a Bermuda race. Now the CS 30 is a sweet racer/cruiser, comparable strength-wise to a C&C 30, but with more carrying capacity. Anyway the weather turned bad, some lose ends became problems, some problems became very uncomfortable and scary, and the crew called the USCG for rescue, leaving the boat to float off to points unknown. The CS 30 is a very nice boat, but not suitable for offshore use.
I have read many stories about boats going down or sailors needing rescue. Almost always it seems that boat strength wasn't the issue. Usually if the boat had complied with the ISAF cat 1 rules the result would have been different.

Are you suggesting that the laminate schedule and transverse frames on a c&c 30 just aren't strong enough? Or is it a design problem under the waterline? Standard mast too wobbly to survive repeated knockdowns?

Tankage can be a pain, but its possible to bring jugs of water and use sparingly for a week while sailing to Bermuda... design wise I would rather be in a racer cruiser than an old school full keeled boat any day, I don't buy all that crap about fin keelers somehow not being seaworthy, Imho the opposite is true
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook