SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oday 30 keel concerns, New member here too!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Encapsulated keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcoxe
I looked up the thred on the other forum, and although, as you said, there was no follow-up on the repairs, the keel IS encapsulated as it was on my ODay 28. I have no idea what the "bolt holes" you refer to could be, but I would think you can trust the surveyor's assessment. If not, try Rudy at D & R Marine in Mass. He knows most things ODay, and use the phone, not email. You can get the number off the web site. Good luck,
Bill Coxe, O40, New London, CT
Denise did not mention a centerboard, so I am assuming her post is about the fin keel model, if she has a centerboard, the following advice would not apply!

I don't know the Oday 30 fin keel model personally but it would amaze me if a fin keel hull designed in the late '70s had "encapsulated" ballast, that just does not compute at all. It just has to be another bolt-on, external lead fin like any other fin keel...Maybe there's confusion about the meaning (and maybe I'm wrong in doubting!), perhaps a 30 expert can clarify.

Assuming the model does have the typical bolt-on external lead keel, then I think the following thead is relevant to Denise's concerns, which I would expect to be unfounded.
Catalina Keel bolts

Last edited by sailingfool; 11-28-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook