SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Comet 41s

I had said on the last post that it seems to me that some characteristics of the new line of the Island Packet are similar to the ones of the Comet 41s, a boat that has already some years (6). Does that mean that the design of the new performance Island Packet is already dated?

Rarely a 6 years old design remains up to date in what regards sailing characteristics with new models, so when I found out a recent test sail of the Comet 41s (9/2012) I was very curious about what they would say about the boat and if they would feel that the design and sailing characteristics were already dated. I mean, on all the sail tests they said very well about the boat but that was 5 or 6 years ago.

I was very curious because one of the reasons I chose this boat was precisely because it seemed to me that its design was very modern for the time it was designed and that it was still actual.

On other hand, many on this thread had asked me about my impressions on the boat. I had try to comply but I am afraid to be partial (and that is natural) so nothing better than to read what the guys of Yachts and Yachting say about the Comet 41s they have tested last month.

I would say that they confirm many of the things I have said about the boat and in some they are even more optimistic than myself.

The conclusion:

Comet 41S Review: Verdict

Overall it’s hard not to be impressed by the Comet 41S. You step aboard wondering ‘Why would you when there are many 40-41-footers around?’ and step off fully engaged by its subtle, very persuasive charm and good performance.
It’s a bit of a statement boat, something different for the discerning owner who does not simply want to follow the crowd. There is so much neat detailing and, for the price, quality workmanship that, for me, it stands out as virtually unique among boats I have tested over the last few years. It comes from a yard which appears to sit comfortably astride the traditional notions of craftsmanship, but still embracing what the contemporary racing sailor wants in terms of modern mid-tech build for performance and strength, well developed and refined layout and a real cruising capacity.

You can read the rest here:

Yachts and Yachting Magazine

Last edited by PCP; 10-11-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook