SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?

Thanks for the kind encouragement;chef2sail. I donít want to bite off more than I can chew thatís for sure. I have learned a lot this summer. Iíve only been able to go out 14 times. I have come to realize that the dock is where the danger is. Once Iím out of port and under sail the danger goes way down. I mean the prevailing south wind drives me into my slip. I have to be patience and wait for the slack tide. The dang tide here is like ripping at 3 to 5 knots sometime. A few weeks back, I had someone hit me while I was tied up on the face dock, and did not tell anybody. It messed up the gel-cote on the stern. I patched it. I have a Garmin 215 Black and white Plotter I picked up for $100 bucks. It will take some time to learn all it can do. Someone told me I can mark the dock and it will show me the way back after a day of sailing. That will be great. Its just time, I just need more time. I am shooting for 18 months right now? Weíll see. If Iím not ready then I will not go.\
Thanks again for the encouragement chef2sail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
LT,

I have been following your adventure since bringing the old gal back to life. You are certainly ready for your next phase and I commend you for making slow steady progress and gaining experienece instead of going out once in the ocean, taking unecessary weather risks, and claiming you are offshore sailing or been in all conditions. The more time you spend on her the more those statements will have validity.

I suggest you do as planned and start making some coastal hops to other ports watching your weather windows. Navigating inlets, currents, wave actions, ocean shoals is anoither skill which you will need in going to Bermuda. Your boat is certainly strong enough to handle constant ocean inlet hopping. You may wan t to eventually invest in some bladder extensions for your water systems and a chartplotter for redundency of safety.

We have no problem taking our C&C35MKIII ( you boats slightly larger sister) from the Chesapeake up to Massachucettes offshore which has been a 3 day 600 mile trip easily. We still watch our weather window.

I would suggest you take an offshore sailing course ( usually 3 days offshore) to give you some of the other skills as well as learn what you should have and outfit you boat with for the open ocean crossing to Bermuda.

Good luck and way to go for your restoration.

dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook