SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice wanted: Tides Marine Track and Slide system
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice wanted: Tides Marine Track and Slide system

I have full batten main and the Tides track. I like it. The track does make it easier to raise and lower the main. I still need to go forward and pull some of it down however but that is mainly due to the thickness of my main sail.

You will get a lot of differing opinions on Full, mixed or partial full battens. I like full battens. I had my new main built with an interfering roach and a flattening reef about 2 feet up. The flattening reef stays in almost all the time and only gets removed for light winds. I have a reef-able 140 composite jenny that can be reduced to ~100 with very good results. This combo means I never need to change sails. I have 2 more reefs in the main and haven't needed the second reef yet. Above 30 knots I would probably want it, but my boat sails well on just the main so if it gets nasty the jib just gets rolled in all the way.

I believe it depends on the design of the boat a bit. Either way the track system is well worth it to me.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook