SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help With Offshore Navigation
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Help With Offshore Navigation

On google maps that trip looks to be about 60 miles down the coast. At 6 knots for 10 hours you would just be able to cover that but you wont have the daylight in December, will you? Are you prepared to sail and navigate at night, alone?
I was 26 once (and still wish that I was) and thought I could conquer the world. I would rather sail as much as possible on your intended trip but I would consider this trip a 'delivery' and there is always the 'ditch', or ICW that connects Jacksonville and New Smyrna Beach, no? You could still have an adventure, mostly motoring down the ICW and do it in likely 2 relatively easy days.
The other options are as others have pointed out: learn how to use the GPS and navigate with charts, dead reckoning and the rest. You could practice these skills while motoring down the ICW to develop confidence. These are the skills that help you locate where the hell you are on a chart that only contains water, or charts of a coastline.
I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook