SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell Me About Jeanneaus
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Tell Me About Jeanneaus

paul,

The sunrise IIRC is about 34-35'. At the time, probably a race-cruise to cruise-race style boat. The Ginn Fizz was more of a cruiser per say. It can be found in both a ketch and sloop rig. The ketch IIRC is a much lower build % than the sloop.
If you like these two, also want to look for the SunShine 36/38. The only real difference between the 36 and 38 is the 38 may/should have what i will call a true sugar scoop stern. There is also a regatta version that has the surgar scoop fill in, into a normal looking solid transom, but really raked backward! This allows a bit more waterline at times, so a faster boat. Some even had a taller mast/more SA etc, ie the regatta version. The Sunshine is an early Tony Castro design, as is my smaller version the Arcadia. Also, a lot of boats of this era, do not have some interior niceties that some like, ala a shower, hot and cold running water. Wood work frankly I feel is better, a bit more solid wood/teak used, and better quality teak plywoods. But being as teak is harder to find, not as good etc, the newer models are using a ground teak to make the look of todays models, be it a Beneteau, or Jeanneau.
The boats of this 80's era were built when Bangor Punta owned Jeanneau, along with Cal, O'day, ranger to name a few others. You can find some Cal and O'day versions of some Jeanneau's, built here in the states with that boats name tag. An Oday 39/40 IIRC is the sunfizz, and the Cal 9.2 a "Rush" IIRC. having a hard time looking this combo up. Both the Rush and Cal 9.2 are Ron Holland designs.
If one goes HERE, you can find differenc models and names, with specs, and also on the left upper side of the page, some alternitive models, depending upon when built, by whom etc. Like my boat, Arcadia, became a Sn Way 28 after Bangor Punta folded, the French government found a buyer/take over company to keep Jeanneau open for 10 yrs or so, then in 98?!?! or there abouts, Group Beneteau took over the franchise. Henri Jeanneau who started the company around 1959 or so, started literally building what became some of the fastest motor race boats in France, then branced out to cruiser and a sail boat that sold something like 2500 hulls! The rest is history to say the least. SO racing is in the brands blood much more than cruising in reality. They at least are building fast cruisers vs SLOW cruisers.

marty