SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Storage - City Island or Port Washington?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

pfile is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Storage - City Island or Port Washington?

By the way, I took her out this past Saturday on my own. Most of my friends live in Manhattan and don't get the concept of how much fun this is... don't want to take the trek out to Port Washington on a weekend.

I loved it, even if I was on my own and doing less than 3 knots, I just kept looking at the other guys points of sail and trying to mimic it and trim accordingly :-)

My problems, getting the bloody main up, the battens keep catching on the lazy jacks, and also one of the slugs decided to drop out of the mast channel.

I head up as best I can but it's a bitch to get the main up on your own, it needs to be guided by hand so the battens don't snag on the lazy jack lines. Plus it's a bitch to get it up. I did spray the mast channel with that lubricant (the $30 buck harken stuff..) but still. Maybe I should use a winch handle but I'm scared of ripping something...

One thing that I learned is that the main should go up first. So many people told me to use the roller furler, it's wrong. I can't tack with just the head sail. I've learned from here, main first and last.

Anyway it was great with just the main and I got 5 knots (on the GPS) at times, I used the traveler and the main sheet to control over power.

Eventually I rolled out the genoa but I could not get a handle on it, seems like I can't work out how far aft or forward I should move the genoa block.

Also, I need gloves, my hands where torn up.

The Sabre seems so forgiving of me making rookie mistakes. Self tailing is king here.

I wish I could get better sail trim with the genny and main up, I think the genny is 120.

Also the main slug at the end is not slotted into the boom, I can't seem to get the outhaul to work..

I only did the basic keel course out of liberty landing with offshore sailing (highly recommend them by the way, it was excellent) but decided the money they wanted for the next level courses would be best invested in buying a boat and.... making all these mistakes..

Buy a boat, go sailing, you will learn quickly

Last edited by pfile; 10-11-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook