SailNet Community - View Single Post - Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Hi Ant, welcome to the forum. One thing all of us sailors have in common; we're all "dreamers." LOL We understand the dream, but those of us who've been there know the reality. Small boats are big fun, small headache. Big boats are big fun, big headache. When people buy the "wrong" boat they tend to have the "wrong" experience and end up disappointed.

It's like learning to drive with a London double level bus.

I sold motorcycles for many years and frequently encountered this same attitude; bigger is better. The trouble with learning to ride on a big bike is the same problem with learning to sail on a large boat: You can get way too deep into trouble, way too fast, with deadly results.

Learning to sail is quite simple. The concept is easy to grasp and a few hours of trial and error (usually done with a small boat) will get you going. Plan to spend the next 30/40 years (if you stay with it) learning. Learning safety, weather, seamanship, your boat, yourself, etc. Like motorcycling, it's always challenging, every time you leave the dock.

I learned to sail in 1954 at the Navy base in Newport, RI., I was 12. The final exam was to singlehand their 26' boat from the dock, around the bay and back to the dock; all under sail. The fact I had such a good foundation saved my sorry ass many times. LOL It really helps to start out knowing what you're doing. When things go wrong (and they will) it comes in handy.

Good Luck,

DB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook