SailNet Community - View Single Post - HO Alternator & Serpentine Pulley Kit Install
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: HO Alternator & Serpentine Pulley Kit Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Something I have to wonder about, is that alternator bodies are never fluted. In theory, if you're going to bother with your own castings, you could flute the whole body in order to get a huge increase in heat shedding, which should translate into a huge gain in alternator output as it heats up.

Looks like a nice setup though.
I have to guess because:

#1 The alts are built to fit "existing" locations which may be very tight. I have some that literally clear by 1-2 mm's...

#2 They are, no matter how "custom" they claim they are, built on existing "industry" case sizes & offsets. While companies like Balmar and E-Maax do cast their own cases the case is basically a replica of Delco 130D, 10DN, 10SI, 12SI, Motorolla, J-200 etc. etc...

There are some new technologies coming that will drastically boost the capability of a small case alt but it is still a year or two out..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook