SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
There are some places here too, that limit the percentage of liveaboard slips. They claim it has to do with limited infrastructure such as parking, pumpouts, electric etc. But if that were truly the case, I'd assume the appropriate percentages would be determined by each individual marina based on their circumstances, not county-wide. So I wonder... Wingnwing
This is no different than an HOA with rules or communities over 55. While I beleive anchoring in the water is free and is everyones right as long as you arent blocking channels and polluting, I dont beleive it written that it is a right to be able to dock your boat permanently whereever you feel you want to. From what I have seen, most marinas do not even want to deal with this issue so most do not permit liveaboards. I beleive the decision is strictly a financial one as was the decision in our club. It was not meant to discriminate against them as a group and assign a social stigma to them. We dont want more than 10% because it would create even more changes in our clubs dynamics and incur greater charges thus increase our fees as well as decreaase the life expectancy of the facility. If 270 people use the club 200 days out of the year and 30 365 days per year as it is now, the finanacial impact and life expetancy of the infrastructure would be far different than if the 150 poeple used the club 365 days per year and the other 150 used it 200 days per year. In additon by having an extra 120 people living full time in the county the county services would need to be increased ( schools, police, fire, trash) which would mean the budget would need to be adjusted for the county to handle the extra 120 people living there, which usually means the taxes would go up for everyone. Our fees are for basic property taxes on a facility which is not used 365 days oper year. It seems fair that the people who are incurring the extra costs should pay for them. Thats what a user fee is.

This is strictly a fiinancial decision not meant to attach any social agenda to a person wanting to live on the boat. To beleive that all individuals should pay equally by their marina fees for the county taxes when one group lives there all of ther time and the majority part time....like some have said in the presdiential debates...just doesnt add up. Do the math. Marinas and our club are finanacial profit making businesses. They shouldnt have to absorb losses or pass them on to spread them amongst other memebers. People who use....should pay.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-11-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook