SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Dave,

My "footprint" at my marina is minimal and wouldn't justify the extra fees that you're talking about. I feel that this is the difference between a resort marina and a working yard like the one WnW and I stay at. I don't think you can directly compare the two environments.

I consume slightly more water than a non-liveaboard and less electricity than some non-liveaboards! How? Because the non-resident yacht owners keep their cabin A/C running year-round, to keep their cabins dry and mildew-free. I barely used my A/C in the summer, and I won't need much heat this winter.

I cook with alcohol and a 700 watt microwave oven. I use a laptop or my smartphone. My lights use less power and there are fewer of them. Trash pick-up for the marina is no more or less frequent than if none of us lived aboard. It's the same dumpster and we don't fill it up any more frequently. The school bus stop is at the head of the street, and it would still be the case even if none of us lived aboard. I believe that our water lines are going to be winterized and shutdown regardless of us liveaboards. If we want water in our tanks, we'll have to schlep it down to our boats.

I have consumed exactly "zero" staff time since I've moved in at the marina. My mates and I help each other out for the repairs we need. The crabbers and fishermen who use my marina cause more havoc on the facilities and bathhouse than the liveaboards do, and there are over 25 of us!

Conversely, if I lived aboard at a resort marina, I expect that I would consume more facilities and staff time than I do at my "yard" marina. I'd expect water year-round, club house access and services, etc, etc.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook