SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Hobby
Thread: New Hobby
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Re: New Hobby

Sounds like a plan to me. Last winter I refitted a 26 foot Luger and taught myself how to sail in the spring. My biggest issue was heeling over. I would get really nervous when my boat was heeling over more than 5 degrees(never been on a sailboat before). I got over that and got firmiliar with my boat and now I'm a very capable sailor. I used the Coast Guard sailing manual. Its about an inch and a half thick and filled with information about the physics of sailing as well as rules of the waterways. There were areas of the book that I didnt read but I also have been boating for over 10 years and was in the Navy so I am very aware of the rules of the water. I also watched a bunch of instructional videos on the internet. That helped a lot to see what I was reading about. I think a 26 foot was a perfect size to learn on. As far as the price you paid for your boat, people regularly sell their boats for less than market value to a good home. Also there isnt a big market for old boats unless their in showroom shape. Finding a good marina for a fair price is almost impossible here in Buffalo N.Y. I pay $1300 for a 5 month season with water but without electric. I think thats high for being In Buffalo N.Y. Might be good in some cities but come on. Its Buffalo. Good luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook