SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Hobby
Thread: New Hobby
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 10-11-2012
ABH3 Boyer
Re: New Hobby

Sounds like a plan to me. Last winter I refitted a 26 foot Luger and taught myself how to sail in the spring. My biggest issue was heeling over. I would get really nervous when my boat was heeling over more than 5 degrees(never been on a sailboat before). I got over that and got firmiliar with my boat and now I'm a very capable sailor. I used the Coast Guard sailing manual. Its about an inch and a half thick and filled with information about the physics of sailing as well as rules of the waterways. There were areas of the book that I didnt read but I also have been boating for over 10 years and was in the Navy so I am very aware of the rules of the water. I also watched a bunch of instructional videos on the internet. That helped a lot to see what I was reading about. I think a 26 foot was a perfect size to learn on. As far as the price you paid for your boat, people regularly sell their boats for less than market value to a good home. Also there isnt a big market for old boats unless their in showroom shape. Finding a good marina for a fair price is almost impossible here in Buffalo N.Y. I pay $1300 for a 5 month season with water but without electric. I think thats high for being In Buffalo N.Y. Might be good in some cities but come on. Its Buffalo. Good luck
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome