SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
I agree that a 6 year design is new. I'm careful to have a strong opinion about the new superwide sterns a-la-Vendee or Volvo. Example, Elan 350. For cruising, I simply cannot viualize them on hard seas, given light displacement too. Must wear seatbelts at the helm, not to fall about 6' vertical to the leeward deck! Good on a Bene Oceanis or Sense, though. Makes a kickass entertainment cockpit at anchor!. Now look at Comet, Salona, and J-Boats for fast & seaworthy shapes. The comet looks very fast and sexy, especially without the Formula 1 rear spoiler.

One idea for this thread: Paulo, you should post a new thread: Hiring Naval Architect in "Interesting Sailboats". The conversation could get very interesting beyond RM, B/D & SA/D. Hull shapes, payload…

Second idea: The year is coming to an end. THIS THREAD DESERVES A "BOTY AWARDS" SESSION, with categories and all.

Cheers,

Hans
Yes , I agree that it looks better without the “Spoiler” but the one that would get the sun on his head is me not you.

To that list, I mean similar typed boats, you can join X-Yachts, Luffe, winner, Grand-Soleil, Italia yachts, Solaris and almost all Italian performance boats.

But I would not agree with you that beamy large transom boats are unsafe on hard seas. True that being high up on the deck is a disadvantage and the standard boats don’t come equipped with the stuff racers have to deal with it (support for the feet and safety belt) but you can mount it and even if those boats have that problem close upwind in all other sailing positions, specially dead downwind, they are easier and more stable than the type of boats you have mentioned. However it is true that they will be less comfortable upwind.

It is also true that you can go close to the wind at 80% of the boat potential and in that case the heeling of the boat would be a lot less than in one of the boats you have mentioned and you don’t have that problem anymore.

Regarding standard boats I have to say that none of the mentioned boats come standard properly equipped for bad weather and I mean fixation points for harness. One of the reasons that I took my boat to Rome (Fumicino) for the winter is to have it equipped with the right stuff and have the job made by Comar guys (the builders of Comet). As you know this is a cored boat with a cored deck and if the job is not well done it will give problems that can be rather bad.

I take the opportunity to recommend the services of Luca, the guy that is in charge of Gestinautica, a small shipyard in Fumicino near Rome. Not only he is good (he is the after sales man from Comar, the one that deals with any problems the boats have) as the prices for his work and for staying on a 9 month basis are very acceptable, not to mention that Fumicino is one of the two Roman airports with easy and inexpensive access from all Europe.

The place is also nice and has a supermarket at only 150m, take a look:

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook