SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pictures: Those perfect moments
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Pictures: Those perfect moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Beautiful looking spot and interesting historical significance.
Yes and it was a pity my boat has too much draft for entering that almost empty small port. I guess that with 2m draft you can risk it since the bottom is mud. I would have liked to have the boat there to go to Arta. I saw the city with the binoculars and it looked just great. In ancient times the gulf was bigger (now part of it are closed fishfarms) and Arta (Ambracia) was near its shores. First a small Corinthian colony rose to capital of the Kingdom of Epirus.

Curiously almost all of us have heard something related with this kingdom and city: Have you heard about a "Pyrrhic victory"? Thatís right, Pyrrhus was a King of this realm.

Regarding that naval battle, August founded a city in its memory, Nikopolis (also called ancient Preveza) that in time become the capital of Epirus supplanting Arta. You can lay anchor near its ruins, we did.

Another incredible place, even better than the last one I have posted photos is Paliamylous a nice bay protected from the predominant winds (that in the summer blow always from the same side) with a great beach bar that can offers you meals at a very good price. The place belongs to an incredible Greek (Pedro), that is a wealthy man and has this beach bar as a hobby (it is the guy in the middle, on the photo of the bar).

When I swim to the bar to ask if they served meals I talked with him and asked if he had Visa. He said now but that I could pay any other time. I end up picking a ride with him (me and my wife) to the next town to get money and shopping for food. Next year he will join the sail community. He was a Jeanneau 44 being built for him.

Some photos:

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook