SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Dinghy sailing for me?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

Mitsobar is on a distinguished road
Is Dinghy sailing for me?

Im on the fence about taking up sailing.

I did a weekend intro at a local club a year ago but didn't follow through. Came across one of the instructors in passing this week, had a chat and he invited me down to crew with him to have another go.

It comes down to this, I am somewhat prone to calf cramps when doing alot of squatting and awkard leg positions. I can count on one hand how many ive gotten doing actual sports - rather than at home or asleep which is most common, but they are so horrifically painful and crippling I am out for the count for the rest of the day.

At the intro weekend it became clear how extremely cramped the smaller boats are - I believe I tried a Topper and Laser - I did not like these at all.
We also had quite a few goes in a GP14(iirc) as 3 man crew which had alot more room which I much preferred.

At the end though I thoroughly spooked myself with thoughts of getting a calf cramp while out and either being stuck out on the water unable to make my way back or even worse, capsizing and falling into the water with the cramp at which I either imagined myself nearly drowning or having to abandon the boat.

Now im not sure whether to take him up and go down for another try. I like being on the water and what sailing has to offer is appealing to me but these cramps have shaken my confidence in the last couple of years.

Thoughts or advice welcome
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook