SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing alone??
Thread: Sailing alone??
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing alone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
hey guys, be careful out there. I too sail many times alone and my wife did not know anything about sailing but this year I have convinced her to learn. I guess the main problem for her is fear but she is slowly gaining confidence.

And I say be careful because it is a dangerous thing. Most of the times, if you fall overboard sailing alone, even if you are tied to the boat you will die.
With confidence and because we have made it so many times, it comes overconfidence, but it does not matter how many times you have done it, you go overboard just once and you are done.

I am not trying to be alarmist and I donít intend to stop sail solo but in the last years there has been a frightening increase in solo sailors deaths. That is just the last one:

UnglŁck: Toter bei Einhandregatta in Holland - Panorama*|*YACHT.DE

If you fall on the water with some wind and the boat doing good speed probably your wife (if she does not know how to sail) will not be able to stop the boat and pick you up. So convince her to learn to sail and explain that is an important safety precaution. Wives like safety and thatís the way I convince mine.

Regards

Paulo
Is there an english translation for the article?
Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook