Originally Posted by peterchech
The catalytic process produces water vapor, could there be a moisture issue there?
I had a leaky propane bottle in my boat one time, I was able to smell it and discard it but these things do happen. Would a CO monitor, kept low in the cabin, be able to detect leaking propane gas before it builds to a dangerous level?
Don't ALL boats have moisture issues? I use a Damp Rid basket, empty the bowl and refill the basket every time I visit the boat (~ 1-2 times a week, if I'm lucky). The catalytic heater will add to the moisture, but it's still the only practical, safe way to heat the cabin without being on shore power.
Peter, a typical CO detector will NOT detect propane, at any level!!!
They detect Carbon Monoxide, which is a by-product of the incomplete combustion of the fuel, and not a component of the fuel itself. You would need a combination sensor which detects both CO and explosive gasses. They used to be fairly expensive, but now you can pick one up for <$50.
Also, a CO detector will probably not prevent death by anoxia due to the combustion using up the oxiygen in the space being heated. Keep that companionway hatch cracked open!