SailNet Community - View Single Post - how do i make it warm
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Re: how do i make it warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
The catalytic process produces water vapor, could there be a moisture issue there?

I had a leaky propane bottle in my boat one time, I was able to smell it and discard it but these things do happen. Would a CO monitor, kept low in the cabin, be able to detect leaking propane gas before it builds to a dangerous level?
Don't ALL boats have moisture issues? I use a Damp Rid basket, empty the bowl and refill the basket every time I visit the boat (~ 1-2 times a week, if I'm lucky). The catalytic heater will add to the moisture, but it's still the only practical, safe way to heat the cabin without being on shore power.

Peter, a typical CO detector will NOT detect propane, at any level!!! They detect Carbon Monoxide, which is a by-product of the incomplete combustion of the fuel, and not a component of the fuel itself. You would need a combination sensor which detects both CO and explosive gasses. They used to be fairly expensive, but now you can pick one up for <$50.

Also, a CO detector will probably not prevent death by anoxia due to the combustion using up the oxiygen in the space being heated. Keep that companionway hatch cracked open!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook