SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing alone??
Thread: Sailing alone??
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing alone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
And I say be careful because it is a dangerous thing. Most of the times, if you fall overboard sailing alone, even if you are tied to the boat you will die.
Anyone accepts the challenge of solo crossing (no one on board except you) must accept the fact that you will die. I have thought about this everyday for last 10 years. I may be able to cheat death by

1. Having extremely strong upper body strength.
2. Wearing helmet and wet suit instead of the traditional Foul Weather gear,
3. Slowing the boat down by remote control autopilot
4. Having a life line runs from bow to stern. The line must be low enough to use as a step ladder.
5. bringing a SPOT or something better and Portable VHF
6. Making peace with Buddha or whoever

Whatever you do, don't fall off the boat. No matter how unlikely that will be. It is NO joke. Soloing sailing is 100 x more difficult than the singled handed sailing. Every minor thing will magnify to become critical.

But what can you do when your SO won't come with you. It is not fair to her either. It is better for her to fly to the destination and I can brag about it for the next 48 hours. If it was only 25 ft waves, I could tell her it was at least 75 ft. I think this is better unless I fail to show up. :P

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook