SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel bolt torque values ????
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Keel bolt torque values ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerussis View Post
Well I did just that - bought a 1 1/2" socket and a 3' breaker bar - was told that no way would I be able to torque past and most likely not even to the 350 ft. lbs spec. of a 1" bolt. My keel has three (3)1" bolts with 1 1/2" nuts - was able to turn each one an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turns. The keel also has two (2) bolts with 1/2" nuts the specs suggest 90 ft. lbs of torque - I have a cheapy torque wrench and to my surprise the nuts of these bolts turned several times before reaching 90 ft. lbs. NOW I'm a bit concerned because just because the specs for these bolts state that they may be torqued to specified values doesn't necessarily mean that for keel applications they should be maxed out - or does it?
Yes. Torque specs are merely a best effort substitute for the ideal method of tightening a bolt/nut, which is to measure the stretch of the bolt. Since measuring bolt stretch is difficult to impossible in many cases, torque values which equate closely are used instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook