SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Mooring vs slip?

The marina where I'd like to have my boat may or may not have any slips available for next season, but they definitely have moorings available. I'm trying to figure out how much of a pain a mooring would be or if there might actually be some advantages of a mooring.

Some stuff is obvious. For example, with a mooring...arrive at marina,have to get dinghy off rack, haul to dinghy launch site, and row out to sailboat. (The mooring is pretty close.) Then use dinghy to get rest of passengers/provisions or motor sailboat from mooring to t-head, tie up, and load from there. Repeat when returning, especially if I want to hose the boat off, top off water tanks, etc.

Getting a contractor on the moored boat would require more effort on my part. In the past, if, for example, I wanted an electrician to check something out, I could just tell him the slip number and the combination for the lock. If I were on a mooring, I'd have to bring the boat to the dock at a pre-arranged time.

Batteries may or may not be a concern. I'm guessing they would charge enough with the motoring I'd do to get out into the bay. (I do not have solar panels or a wind generator.)

On the plus side, the mooring is cheaper. And more private.

Not sure which is better in storms.

So, I am I considering the right factors? Or am I missing something important here on my "one the one hand and on the other hand" discussion with myself?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook