SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

dinosdad is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring vs slip?

As this has been my first year with my boat(any boat period!) , I spent the season on a mooring and can offer these observations. It can be a hassle to grab the dink, take the motor out of the locker, load up and get out to the boat, but it becomes very routine after a few times . The peace and quiet afforded by the mooring is one the best positives, relaxing in the cockpit watching the world go by, nobody walking by and having to engage in small talk, but if your in the mood to be social a dinghy ride around the moorings or to the dock will provide you with plenty of opportunity for conversation . Picking up a mooring was a easily learned skill(even non boaters grasped the concept quickly). You'll be amazed how much crap you can bring out to your boat on the dink, enough for a weekend easily, guests can be picked up at the dock. If you need someone to work on the boat your marina may let you put it in a open slip for a few hours(provided someone's left theirs vacant and the marina is outside vendor friendly). I seldom went more than a week without being on the boat and the batteries never got run down( no solar panel or wind generator). If the marina is somewhere you want to be you could take a mooring and if it isn't working for you ask to be put on a waiting list for a slip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook