SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Northeast Liveboard - First Condensation/Mildew Battle
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: New Northeast Liveboard - First Condensation/Mildew Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
OK,,,I am going to steer this this topic in a slightly different direction. The liveaboards posting here seem like a different breed than those who sell their home on retirement and sail away to tropical destinations. I could be wrong, but I imagine liveaboards in colder climates still have jobs and such; they just happen to live on a boat. Is this a fair assessment. If it is, how did it happen? What moved you to move from house or apartment to live on your boat? I am really interested in the stories. If you are married, how do you talk your wife into it? I know I could, and probably would do it if I were alone, but my SO would not even consider it.
I moved aboard my first boat at age 22, finished her ,and set sail for the South Pacific at age 23. Living aboard has allowed me to semi retire in my mid 20s, working a month a year on average, and I have single handed across the Pacific 9 times, as well as cruising the BC coast 11 months a year, when not cruising down south. I have access to a huge house with a large screen TV and all the comforts. Two days there and I'm bored to death, and cant wait to get back on my boat. Cant believe people actually spend their whole lives living that way.