SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 44 information
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

Zenyatta is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander 44 information

Rich,

Looked at the youtube video. Nice boat. My guess it took the original finisher a lot more than two years to finish off the boat. He did a fabulous job.

As mentioned in my posting of 6 months ago, I'm well into the refit on a 1973 I44. I still have much to do and a set of drawings will definitely help. I would like to talk to you directly about that and what arrangements we can make to get them copied.

From 1999 to 2006 I owned an Islander 30 and got into following the history of the company and its boats that was being put together by several people at that time. It's unfortunate that so much of it has been lost. There is another Islander web site out there with more of that history.

For the record, here are a few things that I have picked up on the I44 / I41's over the last few years of trying to get info on them.

The estimate of 30 to 40 I44's may be accurate but 3 I41's probably is not. I am familiar with 4. Yours, one in Poulsbo WA, one in MA for sail on Yachtworld right now, and one in VA owned by the former sailing instructor for the Annapolis Naval Academy. I talked with the last fellow about a year ago. Like you, he loved the sailing characteristics of the boat and I would guess he would be a good judge.

If you look around a bit, you can find two different designs for the "Lapworth" I 44. One with two quarter berths and a boxy cabin top with a step in it, and the more common one with one quarter berth, a U shaped galley, and a contoured cabin top, like the I34 an I37. From Bob Perry's book, it wasn't uncommon for boat builders at the time to make modest changes to a boat designed by a naval architect and then claim the design as there own and stop paying royalties. Don't know that happened here but could have. I've read that Lapworth was bitter with Islander over this boat.

Though this boat may have always been available as a kit boat, for sure Islander did sell completed I44's. One broker/seller claimed that they had finished off 10 of them though I don't know where he got his info. There is one in Kingston WA that I check out regularly tha t was definitely completed by Islander. The current owner bought that boat in 1982 from the original owner who bought it in 1968. Again, he attests to it's seaworthiness. He has sailed it through two hurricanes while cruising in the 80's.

Let me know the next time you might be in Seattle. My boat is in a boat yard less than 10 minutes from the airport and I'm there most of the time ( retired). You might like seeing what one looks like behind all the panels.

You can call me at any time at 206 898-6988.

Bill Merrick
S/V Zenyatta
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook