SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Mooring vs slip?

This is simple. Take a look at just how much more expensive a slip is. That is precisely how much better one is, or people wouldn't pay it.

No slips available, but there are moorings. Again, the vote is in.

We've all been on mooring for one of two principal reasons.

1. there were no slips available
2. they are less expensive

I agree with some of the other ancillary niceties of a mooring, such as privacy or ease of landing, but they are grossly outweighed by access to power, water, bathrooms, your car, guests, loading groceries, etc.

Much harder to manage a holding tank from a mooring too. If we are going to be away, we keep the level low and avoid "solid waste" sitting stagnant all week, by using shore facilities for that after we pump out. My kids call it "the walk of shame", as all know why you are walking to use the bathroom ashore.

You're probably rugged enough to deal with getting to your mooring in the rain. Wait until you have to get your guests there, who've never been on a boat before.

I hope I never find myself back on a mooring for a season. Having the fridge stocked like it is home, the dehumidifier running when we are away and not worrying about the charge state of our batteries is remarkably better. Your batteries can and typically do, take a beating from the inconsistent charging, especially without solar or wind.

I have to start the winterizing process this weekend and will undoubtedly be on and off dozens of times at our slip. That's just not possible on a mooring.

Can you make a mooring work. Sure. But a slip is worth every penny if its an option for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook