SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

A thought I had the other day, this comes from an article the UK rag Yachting did a few yrs ago comparing an X34c to a Dehler34 when both came out. I'm wondering if DuFour is not shall I say detuning the rig so they are coming in just under the IRC division that breaks at .95 IIRC, ie the D34/34e being a .94 as you mentioned, so to be in the slower catagory on purpose, hoping that a slightly longer WL boat will make up for lack of SA/D. Xyachts in that article described doing this to a degree, so the X34 would not compete in the same division as the X35! Meanwhile, Dehler took the 34, and upped the SA/D etc so as to get about a .96-.97 rating IIRC, which put it in the next higher/faster division.

With this in mind......could Dufour be purposely sand bagging the speed on that line? Not sure why IMHO, but based on the article I can find online if you need to read it.......I'm inclined to say they have.

Marty
Maybe, but that is quite stupid for all except the ones that want to win on compensated time no matter if they are slow in real time. For that you can also buy an old and slow boat with a good rating. That's a lot less expensive.

Anyway for doing that you don't need to put more weight on the boat, you can just do that with a smaller mast and less sail area and that's a better solution in what regards making a good sailboat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook