SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
On a slightly different chord, I find it extremely interesting the almost completely different views presented by Che2sail and wingnwing while both have stated valid views and concerns the perceptions of each are so different it speaks to something I am unable to put into words. On one hand you have an opinion and perspective of a YC member abd HOA homeowner of aparent means and on the other a cruising sailor whom is quite obviously "out there" doing what many dream of. THe difference in their perspectives and attitudes towards this topic are fascinating to me. And make me ask myself HOW they have arrived at there positions and I keep coming back to their life experiences and economic standing which I believe are entwined when a person goes through life and certainly expresses the differences in the un-official class warfare in our culture.
But as the country singer who's name I cannot recall says- I could be wrong.
Just sayin'
This is perhaps worth pursuing, Joe. I think you've got the right conclusion for the wrong reasons - or maybe the wrong conclusion for the right reasons? Anyway, our difference of opinion is more complex than classism/economic standing. How I know that for sure, is that Chef and his wife, and Dan and I, know each other in real life and call each other friend; our politics and to some extent backgrounds are similar (similar age & hometown); and we're pretty much in the same financial bracket, though we've prioritized our spending differently. It's also true that our positions aren't quite as opposed as they look - we both think that liveaboards need to pay for the services they consume (although we may differ on how that contribution should be measured and taxed) and both believe that the individual marine entity should determine how many or few liveaboards it can support.

We have to look elsewhere for the difference of opinion and I think its worth exploring, then, what you suggested about how much the entertwining of experience and economics plays the role of shaping outlook, because money certainly affects the kind and number of experiences you have. The very most obvious of these being that we were able to retire, fully funded, relatively young, and start cruising sooner. My parents planted the travel bug on me early; my first international trip was when I was about 12, and at least one every year from then until I left home for good.

Then there's the other pretty obvious stuff. When we travel by land, we don't stay in 5-star hotels, but at the same time, we don't have to stay in the fleabags on the sketchy side of town, either, and that certainly affects the people we meet and what we do. When storms are predicted, we can afford to stay in marinas in relative security rather than on the hook wondering who will drag - again, the character of our cruising is a little different because of this. Etc, etc.

Here's another possibility to speculate on: does how "rooted" you are to a particular location affect your attitude? If you've grown up and lived much of your life in one part of the country, built a house there and invested in it, makes sense to me that you'd be more protective of that, than if you can simply raise anchor and move on if the area is not to your liking. This is for good and bad - the good is that we can be pretty laid back about places and how they choose to be, but on the other hand, the bad is that we're not motivated to put in the energy to help improve conditions, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook