SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Wingnwing

You could come to MYC for 1/2 the amount of money ( smiles), Same water view, actually quiter. You do have the working yard in your favor. Is that worth $5000 per year? I know you guys are attached to the Annapolis area and love it there.

You are right also about retiring and what we are used to. I am fortunate also that I will be able to in about years at the ripe old age of 591/2. Donna and I downsized from each owning two houses to what we have now and I think we will always have a land based type of home ( low maintainence) for a number of reasons. We like the fact that it is an asset that Appreciates and actually adds to our financial position. If one of us ( or when) becomes sick or ill we have a home to come to, I like the ability to be on the edge of a farm/ forest and see the birds and trees, and then go to my boat and see a different view. I lived on the beach at the Jersey shore for 20 years and never saw a bird ( gulls are rats with wings) or a tree. I love our fireplace. I feel blessed that I have the best of both worlds.

We are looking for the right boat I know it wont be the same racer/ cruiser our haleakula is) to cruise to the bahamas/ Florida/ Carribean with for 4 months a years, I actually the type of cruising Crusing Donna and I will do will be similar to Wingnwing and her husband. ( Maybe thats one of the many similarities we have that makes us so compatable). We appreciate the simple things in life... the peaceful view of the water and the outrageous sunset and good company.

As stated when you have roots, and investment in property, it does change you veiw about keeping it pristine and making improvments..what the neighborhood looks like....that protects your investment. Thats is a different level of commitment than living aboard where when you dont like things you just pull up anchor and move on. Ones not better or right...just different and certainly does not reflect a difference in classes.

Like I said previously wingnwing and her husband are friends and mentors, Yes I have plenty of offshore and sailing experience, but none as a cruiser. I listen to them with interest and respect their experience in a whole part of the sailing arena I want to do eventually ( not that far away really). I also respect their personalities and uniqueness too. I live vicariously through their blog/ posts when they have gone down south. I am hoping that when I retire I can be as relaxed as they are. As wingnwing stated we both grew up at similar times and actually share a lot of the same values from that time period. It helps us connect in that area.

I dont necessarily beleive in the melting pot theory, I dont beleive we all have to melt together or give up our identities which make us unique....I like the tossed salad theory better. It takes many different ingredients with different textures/ tastes to make a good tossed salad. You are part of the greater whole salad, but retain the identity of your individual ingredient. Many we have met in the sailing community have led our experience to remain a positive one which keeps building, from my early instructors, to my racing friends with whom I have raced the last 15 years with, to the deliveries and offshore experiences I have had on other boats, the 1500, crossing the Atlantic twice, to our many friends and aquantemces on the Chessie, Sailnet, Anthing Sailing forums, and our yacht club. These experiences tend to shape my decisions, not a differenece in class.

I am digressing now...back to the liveaboard theme

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-12-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook