SailNet Community - View Single Post - Switching batteries to start the motor.
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Switching batteries to start the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
For people who have matched battery banks (that is, both "A" and "B" are of identical size a frequent strategy is to rename them "odd" and "even" (in your mind.)... (section deleted)... Otherwise you will just use up a little more of the life of the more discharged battery. The next time you do this (on the other battery) things will even out.Hope this helps.
Thanks, a thoughtful response and it does help. But your post brings up another issue for me. I just installed a battery monitor. The dedicated shore power charger has always maintained both batteries at around 13.3 volts (when I would happen to check them with a voltmeter for any reason). Just had a big weekend of sailing, and noticed that one of the batteries was at 12.6 for a couple of days on the charger, though, it finally came up to the 13 volt norm. Does a battery taking longer to charge indicate it's weak? I'll check the specific gravity asap. Seems like it should have charged overnight, if not motoring back into the Marina. Maybe it's always done this, but I didn't realize it until I had the new toy. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss!

Last edited by L124C; 10-12-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook