SailNet Community - View Single Post - Foul Weather Gear
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Second Reply

As I and others have said - WM stuff is perfectly adequate for your needs if you're mainly coastal stuff. Even their Off-Shore/Ocean Stuff is decent for the price. I have a set of their Third Reef Jacket and bib and mostly wear that when the need arises.

While REI/Cabela's, EMS make nice waterproof stuff, think twice about using it as extended/primary FWB. Typically theses garmets are made with lighter weight cloths, which can more easily catch and rip on cleats, shackles, cotter pins, etc., than "boat" stuff. Also a foulie good jacket has cuff seals that minimizes water running down your arm from your hand. Most camping/hiking waterproof jackets don't. Camping/hiking jackets are also usually cut shorter in length torso, than boat foulies. So when you have to bend over, if the camping jacket isn't long enough, you could get water on/down your back if not wearing bibs or bibs high enough. Not all camping waterproof jackets are short, but some are. Not saying that camping/hiking waterproof stuff isn't okay for use on the boat, but it will be more prone to ripping/damage than the typically more durable boat stuff. That being said, I use it all the time for light duty day sails in spitting rain, but heavier rain, I bring out the boat stuff.