SailNet Community - View Single Post - What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

We just got back from our trip out east. We were at the boat show on Thursday, for VIP day, and Friday, for Take The Wheel. We didn't make the wine and cheese event afterward, choosing instead to look at the boats again.

What I learned:
1. This is a real boat show! Tons better than the Strictly Sail show in Chicago!
2. If you are shopping for a boat, pay the little extra and go on VIP day on Thursday. The Friday crowds seemed about double what they were on Thursday and we got to see practically every boat we wanted to see.
3. When you return to a boat for a second look, don't be surprised if the sales person recognizes you, even with all the people who tour the boats.
4. Sabre makes a beautiful boat!
5. Painkillers have medicinal value, besides killing pain. And it seemed the drink of choice for the other sailors in attendance!
6. Sailors are still some of the friendliest, most down to earth people on the planet.
7. Being there was like curing homesickness. I didn't realize how much I missed the water. I didn't want to leave!
8. The Chesapeake is a very shallow bay! I thought we could just go out and sail once we left the dock, until we ran aground right in the middle of the bay.
9. If you are planning to buy a boat, do a sea trial first. A sailboat is not a sailboat is not a sailboat. They all have their subtle differences that may mean a lot to you.
10. I am not a cat person.
11. I need to figure out how to spend more time sailing and less time dreaming about it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook