SailNet Community - View Single Post - Review of my season on Georgian Bay
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

Secound leg first trip was from Hope island to the town of Thornbury at the very southern end of Georgian Bay. Was looking forward to this leg, the winds are usually from the North West making a nice beam to broad reach sail. In my mind this was to be the big sail of the trip. Did not work out that way, winds from the South and light, so we motored the whole way again. So why Thornbury? Friends of my wife ( actually all "our" friends are friends of my wife, I don't have nor feel the need for friends) took a trip there and said it was great. Ever since, when ever I ask my wife where we should go, she says Thornbury. In truth this whole trip was to get that monkey of my back.
Thornbury was nice. Stayed at the Municipal docks. Good set up but expensive, aprox. $70.00 for one night. Nice town with a nice waterfront. Has a damn with super fish ladder, good trip to take in the fall to see the salmon and trout climb the fish ladder. Had a great meal at a Scottish pub called the Damn Pub. Mussels in a coconut curry sauce, haggis and mashed spuds washed down with a nice single malt.
All in all found the town a bit to "artsy" for my taste, all the stores are the type that are decorated tastefully. So tastefully that you are not sure whats for sale or even what the hell their selling.
The bad news was that it started raining shortly after we arrived and continued until the evening of the next day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook