SailNet Community - View Single Post - Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
SN does kind of rock doesn't it?
Yeah it does. Glad I found it.

To the OP question: My dad had never sailed when he bought a Columbia 45 back in 1977. A good friend of his was an avid sailor and racer but that wasn't my dad. He learned everything the hard way. Some things he never learned. I think because sailing wasn't in his blood. But it was in mine. That's just the way it is.

Still, he enjoyed almost 20 years of ownership with that boat and had it until the day he died. He sailed it from Chicago to Mackinac Island and into Georgian Bay. He took it down the Intercoastal to Florida and over into the Bahamas. We sailed it down the Keys and back to the Bahamas. He would have taken it anywhere, so long as he had an able crew. He ran aground. He got blown onshore. He broke some ribs and got banged up a lot. But I'll bet if he were here now he'd say he was glad he bought the boat and it brought him a lot of joy.

I learned to really sail on that boat. I often singlehanded it, sometimes because the guests aboard were too busy enjoying the ride. I learned life lessons I will never forget and discovered talents I never thought I had. And I found a community I will forever feel a part of, regardless if I'm landlocked or at sea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook