SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
post #30 of Old 10-12-2012
DrB

Mooring - But spoiled

I have a mooring, and it is extremely cheap. $130/yr permit + $175/yr mooring service for a 33ft boat. We also pay for a launch service ~$480/yr for unlimited rides. The launch service runs from May 1 to Nov 1. From Memorial Day W/E to Labor Day W/E hours are 8 AM -10 PM M-Th, and 8 AM - 11PM W/E. There are reduced hours in early May and Later Sept/Oct. The dock where we pick up the launch has free parking with a PortaJohn and the dock itself has space for quite a few tie ups and fresh potable water.

Often the Admiral and I will go out for a sail, come back have a cocktail, relax, then call the launch and head into town for a nice meal, head back to the boat around 9:30 via the launch and turn in.

In my area, there are only a few "marina" with slips and the cost is astronomical, $135+/ft.

I'd rather have a mooring. I agree with others, safer in a storm, easier to sail on/off of, quieter, cooler, and cheaper.

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome