SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Mooring - But spoiled

I have a mooring, and it is extremely cheap. $130/yr permit + $175/yr mooring service for a 33ft boat. We also pay for a launch service ~$480/yr for unlimited rides. The launch service runs from May 1 to Nov 1. From Memorial Day W/E to Labor Day W/E hours are 8 AM -10 PM M-Th, and 8 AM - 11PM W/E. There are reduced hours in early May and Later Sept/Oct. The dock where we pick up the launch has free parking with a PortaJohn and the dock itself has space for quite a few tie ups and fresh potable water.

Often the Admiral and I will go out for a sail, come back have a cocktail, relax, then call the launch and head into town for a nice meal, head back to the boat around 9:30 via the launch and turn in.

In my area, there are only a few "marina" with slips and the cost is astronomical, $135+/ft.

I'd rather have a mooring. I agree with others, safer in a storm, easier to sail on/off of, quieter, cooler, and cheaper.