SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Wow, Thanks everyone for the information as well as the kindly invites ! !
We have been using the woodstove everynight as the temps are a bit cool. (forcast low 20's tonight-ouch). I'm tied to the "Fonda Wall" currently on the Mowhawk river section or the NYS Canal, As I was informed the net lock is no place to tie up to due to the deteriating concrete and damage from last years hurricane Irene that damaged alot of the eastern portion of the NYS canal system Knocking it out of commision in early or mid october (can't remember exactly) and forcing some enroute to make other plans for traveling south last year.
We were unable to go due to the closure and had to leave the boat in Upstate NY for the winter on the hard. I think it was the first time this boat ever was out of the water in the frozen north !
Sal Paradise- thanks , I'll do my best to contact you prior to our arrival to that area.
Miatapaul - OK, but your making me self concious about my boat now ! I hope we can get together.
CalebD- Cool, I was wondering about the depths and my draft . That definately is a protected spot ! And that area can be tough to find a good al around achorage. thanks.
Resolute_zs - Awe man , I'm on a 1976 Bayliner Buccaneer 320. Its a center cockpit sloop I found for cheap 4-5 years ago anchored in Boca Ciega Bay ! (of all places) it was foundering at anchor owned by a young guy who apparently never actually sailed and it was on the identified list of (dan-dan-Daaaaa) Derelict Vessels (AaaaaaaaaHhhhhh ! !)
I saved it from a sure sinking or becoming another beach ornament. When I was there I took it into the municipal Marina in Gulfport and the Marina Manager knew all about the state of the boat and was only too happy at the prospect of it leaving the anchorage. I though the city was gonna throw me a party they were so glad to see one of the anchor derelicts removed ! When I found it itwas literally FULL of trash from stem to stern. 35 yardbags full, I filled almost every dumpster in the marina. (with the marina managers permission and understanding that I was removing the boat from the area, which I did in 2-3 days)
Hope to post some photo's soon.
Ok , stay tuned.
Thanks for your help,advice and interest in the trip.
Hope others can benefit too -
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook