SailNet Community - View Single Post - Review of my season on Georgian Bay
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

OK so we make Windfield basin about 5:00 PM. I was concerned about the entrance, looked narrow on the chart with range markers to guide you in. Turns out it's buoyed as well. Very protected anchorage. Nice lighthouse to go visit, the remains of an old steamer, and a flock of ducks that go from boat to boat demanding a free meal.
Turns out the Niagara 35 from Colpoy Bay was there. Told them that we were turning back when we saw them heading out and that caused us to turn back towards Wingfield. They told us that when they saw us turning back, they were very close to turning around themselves.
The next morning we were to leave for a long leg back to Hope Island ( about 40 to 45 miles I think ). Unfortunately the wind was still strong from the East with good sized waves. The forecast was calling for the wind to switch back to the West and decrease later in the afternoon. We were on a bit of a schedule and had to leave that day to be back at Penetang on Sunday. Original plan was wingfield to Hope on Saturday, hope to Penetang on Sunday. New plan, leave Wingfield Saturday afternoon, sail through the night, anchor and sleep for 4/5 hours at Hope Sunday morning, and then back to Penetang. Only problem, never sailed or motored at night before.

Last edited by chamonix; 10-13-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook