SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Mooring vs slip?

Explain to me how a mooring is safer than a slip in most storms. I like the convenience of a slip. Not only for loading, but also for working on the boat. If I want privacy I can pull out of the slip and anchor in the cove. Basically the same effort as rowing out to a mooring.

I like to be able to fill up with water daily. Wash the salt of the boat after using each time. Our slip is tucked back amongst trees in a more protect place from he wind, an an open mooring field.

Most boats in our area on he Chessie are in marinas as there are few moorings. Converse rules in the LI Sound and NE. Because of this most premium spots not open to most in terms of anchoring in towns and coves. In NE most of the premium places in many harbors are choked with tightly packed moorings leaving visitors or travelers only unprotected anchorages or less than spots to anchor. I find this a very unfriendly set up sometimes. In the Chessie you can lost nchor anywhere because no one has claimed the public waterway for the residents only.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook